Newt: We’d better get back, ’cause it’ll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night… mostly.
Two years ago for my first edition of Scary Movie October, I watched Alien. My dad, who has a penchant for horror movies, absolutely loves Alien and not surprisingly, I did too. Many people told me I would love Aliens so I was excited to finally watch it this year.
Like everyone mentioned to me, Alien is definitely more horror and suspense-focused and Aliens is more action-packed. There are still some scary things that happen in Aliens, but there are a lot more explosions and loud guns and such. For that reason, I prefer Alien to Aliens, but only by a slim margin.
You do get more character development with Ripley, especially as she becomes attached to Newt, the lone stowaway they find during their rescue mission. The character development is great. Newt, on the other hand, is a tad annoying. Every time she shrieked I yelled at my television, telling her to shut up because the aliens will find her if she keeps screaming. Yeah, I get a little invested in movies. So what?
Overall, Aliens is beautifully made. The main alien in the battle you see at the end of the film looks very realistic and scary to me, which is just amazing considering when the movie was made. If this movie is ever remade with some CGI crap I will probably protest all movies for the rest of time. Aliens is just about perfect.
A few notes:
- Paul Reiser, I am one of only two people I know who watched and love Mad About You. I feel like I gave you a lot of leeway because of my MOA history, but oh my god you are the worst person ever in that movie.
- Sigourney Weaver, how do I get my hair to look like that? And my butt? Please, send help.
- Speaking of which, after seeing Gravity a few weeks ago I’m convinced that Hollywood believes everyone in space runs around in their underwear and hot bods.
- If I were Bill Paxton in the knife versus finger scene early on, I would punch the dude. That scene gave me major anxiety.
RIYL: Alien, Die Hard, butts, Bill Paxton, small children
- 10 Halloween Horror Movies for You and Your Teen!!! Movie# 6 (aseatonatrain.wordpress.com)
- Scary Movies vs Science Fiction (ashcake95.wordpress.com)